View Single Post
Hello Everyone,

I am a long time Linux/BSD enthusiast and Nokia user. I have the N900 and the N9 64GB, among many other Nokia phones.

With my N9, I have decided to avoid enabling developer mode at all costs. This led to me having to make several Debian packages for the N9 in order to achieve certain tasks.

I have registered now so that I may share a Debian package that I have made using the unstable patch (Enable Traffic + Auto Switch Day/Night mode + Time To Destination + Show traffic on map) that was so graciously put together by colin.stephane, et al--thank you all for your effort!

This package will enable all of the mods from the unstable patch listed above, without needing developer mode. In fact, you simply need to install it after enabling "Settings->Applications->Installations->Allow installations from non-store sources".

I have also included the original, unpackaged contents of the .deb, so that you may view the control, postinst, and postrm files and what they will do.

Explanation of what I did:
  1. I have taken the drive and map files in question and patched them first. They are packaged in this .deb.
  2. The postinst file simply makes a backup of the original files in their original location with a ".bak" suffix (this will incur a slight redundant usage of space, but I would rather the original files not get lost!) AND THEN copies over the patched files that are contained in the .deb package.
  3. The postrm files simply renames all of the backup files to their original names. NOTE: This means that uninstalling will restore whatever state the Drive and Map applications were in before installing this package!

Some points:
  • I am not liable for any problems encountered by using this...use at your own risk!
  • Probably best used with unmodified Drive and Maps.
  • If something goes wrong, simply uninstall and then reinstall Drive and Maps (OR, if root, use: apt-get install -y --reinstall nokia-drive-qml maps).
  • Feel free to use the tar.gz unpackaged files to fix and/or improve this package, which enables some functionality that we all deserve to have!

The files (let me know if they are no longer available):

Drive Mod Enable 1.1 package:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lbs4k2118p...enable-1.1.deb

MD5: 42f15c93124201afc5e27c4251ff7d94 drive-mod-enable-1.1.deb

Unpackaged Drive Mod Enable 1.1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpi10vl6x5...ble-1.1.tar.gz

MD5: 7a93a44e0ae4df1c0a4beebe8c6314bf drive-mod-enable-1.1.tar.gz

This has been tested on my unmodified phone by installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling, etc. I hope that someone finds it useful and convenient.

TL;DR The .deb above will enable the following modifications to the built-in Nokia Map and Drive apps (from colin.stephane's unstable patch):
  • Enable Traffic
  • Auto Switch Day/Night mode
  • Time To Destination
  • Show traffic on map

Best wishes,
Mubuntu

P.S. Nokia executives: Please don't take legal action.

Last edited by mubuntu; 2013-02-08 at 08:55. Reason: Added MD5 sums, etc.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mubuntu For This Useful Post: