View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
wellllll.....
yes and no the n8x0's run on 128mb ram...
extending the memory an additional 128mb via virtual memory ..they also have the ability to bump it up to 256mb ....

but ...that additional virtual memory may not have an impact ...depending on what the intended usage is ...

for example,...I have no idea the impact ...if any... the virtual memory would have in this use case...

unexplored n8x0 country..

as far as running maemo leste from a card instead of onboard storage...
I imagine it would be little different than the current methods for the n8x0...
meaning one is not restricted to capacity...
similar to the n900 in it's methods of running os's off cards...

as far as res conflicts go...between the n900 and n8x0's...
the n900 is what... 800×480? right?
same for the n800..
the n810 has 800x458...I think...
so I would hope the difference would be negligible and manageable for the n810...
and that it should have no prob for the n800....
but that is just superficial hoping that is based on simply the screen res comparison...there may be ...god knows what issues... which may impede...

but...
If maemo leste can run on the n8x0 ...
then all I can say are 3 things...
#1- "Wow"
#2- "All praise the Great Kernel in the Sky.."
and #3- "Do it ...do it...do it ...do it!!!! For God's sake man...do it! "

It would modernize and make current again ...an army of devices and hardcore n8x0 lovers which deserve the opportunity...
and doubtless...bring back many users who left ages ago ...
I stand corrected. The 770 and N8x0 all have an 800x480 display, the same as the N900.

Also there are already DTs in mainline for all 3 N8x0 devices (I should've known this, they are linked to in my doc!). They do still have legacy board files so there are probably things still to be migrated to DT, that's what confused me I think.

If there is significant interest and people willing to help out, it should be easy enough to produce basic builds for N8x0 devices, starting off with the DTs and omap2plus_defconfig. Maybe I should get myself a device for testing. Although I should probably get N950 and N9 working before I look at this.

In Leste we've been using zram for virtual memory instead of eMMC based swap. It won't give you as much as 128MB extra but it is much faster. Of course we could add normal swap too which may help.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: