View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I've spent the last few days slowly testing how to get recovery console as an independent bootmenu.sh, for those who use neither bootmenu nor multiboot. However, mainly, I think that whenever that's done there's going to be useful info on the matter in whatever I figure out (or fail to figure out), for running it with multiboot.

For one, bootmenu package includes a binary for evkey that is slightly different (I can only tell that it's a tiny bit smaller file-size-wise), and it comes with a "watchdogs" binary (which can at least in part explain why the code by pali won't work with multiboot). In the bootmenu.sh script of bootmenu, there seems to be a small chunk that loads the watchdog modules, does something with some files in the ... know what, here's the chunk of code I'm trying to explain, you're knowledgeable enough that my half-understanding explanation will just be less clear:

Code:
	# Watchdogs
	insmod $MODULE_PATH/omap_wdt.ko
	insmod $MODULE_PATH/twl4030_wdt.ko
	sleep 2
	for p in /sys/bus/platform/devices/*_wdt/misc:*; do
		n=`basename $p | sed "s/.*://"`
		rm -f /dev/$n
		mknod /dev/$n c `cat $p/dev | sed "s/:/ /g"`
	done
	/usr/sbin/watchdogs
There's a chunk right above that deals with RTC, whatever that is.

I haven't had time to look at the multiboot script, or that packages contents, to see what else that has for the same task, but my uneducated guess is that this somehow keeps the watchdogs nice and happy, instead of thinking something is wrong and a shutdown is needed.

I conclude this because just putting pali's script as my /bootmenu.sh (modified to load the right modules at the beginning of said script), and placing all the called for binaries into place, gets me a shell just fine, however, the device shuts down after a certain amount of time no matter what you do, presumably because somewhere a watchdog/something-similar decided that something was going wrong.

I get effectively the same result (working shell, device shuts itself down after a few minutes) with just
Code:
modprobe fbcon
bin/sh
. Though it complains about lack of job control and access to tty that way, and still lacks the keymapping offered by but the main thing - the shell - seems to work okay anyway, just up until N900 shuts itself off. ( I should get around to disabling watchdogs through enabling R&D mode to test if that fixes it sometime soon, but as time permits, ultimately.)

I'm guessing multiboot and bootmenu somehow get past that problem. Anyway, I suspect that whatever knowledge is needed to ultimately figure out how to get to working, non-shutting-down shell itself without the support of bootmenu, could be then used to understand how to adapt it to multiboot.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-05-06 at 09:07. Reason: typo: "backup menu" supposed to be "multiboot"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: