View Single Post
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
Thanks for all your work on the n900 kernel. Is it possible to use an updated kernel? I tried compiling a stock 2.6.32 linux kernel according to the rx51_defconfig, but it doesnt boot even after copying the modules to /lib/modules/2.6.32-omap1, changing the /lib/modules/current, and flashing the newer kernel.

Any tips on the overall process would be great.

Thanks
I would recommend starting with the linux-omap kernel tree instead of linux vanilla.

Code:
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git
Then to extract the linux-2.6.32-omap1 release, run:

Code:
git archive --format=tar --prefix=linux-2.6.32-omap1/ v2.6.32-omap1 | gzip > ../linux-2.6.32-omap1.tar.gz
Then you can build with linux-2.6.32-omap1. Note the rx51_defconfig in there seems to be missing quite a bit. I tried it with the rx51_defconfing from linux-2.6.28-omap1, but didn't get it to build.

You can also try with the latest git of linux-omap, but note on the version I tried things went really bad and I had to yank the battery. I thought I had fried my device, but I didn't thankfully. Lots has changed in the git tree since I tried. You can read about that adventure here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36445

To make that tarball, I ran:
Code:
git archive --format=tar --prefix=linux-omap-6833f1a8/ HEAD | gzip > ../linux-omap-6833f1a8.tar.gz
Where the 6833f1a8 is the beginning of the git commit I used.

You can see my live /scratchbox mess here, feel free to grab anything from there, of course. Buyer beware:
http://www.freemoe.org/users/jebba/scratchbox/kernel/

Note, lots is left out of the upstream kernel trees (one example being things like the camera button). I don't know how much slave labour would be needed to port those drivers forward.

Have fun,

-Jeff

The Following User Says Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post: