View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
... it isn't a one stop shop and never will be because you can't make people upload to maemo.org who don't want to.
neither can you make ppl list applications here if they dont want to. so even though (if we're lucky) many applications will be at both places, some of the cool stuff will be at maemo.org only, while some will be only here. That's what "fragmentation" means.

Having the possibility to diskuss apps is nice, but thats whats happening anyway and should have been possible by only adding some new forum sections without the download stuff.

But then again, there's two ways to think about it:

The Right Thing (tm) certainly is to try and work towards a pleasant one stop shop for the end user. This probably means to enhance and re-use existing channels, or, even better, further reduce the number of websites and repositories (instead of adding new ones).

The other approach is to try as many ways as possible (the new service at ITT being one of them) and see which one will work in the long run. There'll be "me too!"-attempts to generate traffic, and there's a risk of fragmentation to a point where nobody finds anything because it's scattered among 182 places, but there's also a chance of something brilliant evolving.

I'm very conservative in these things, so my way of thinking is #1: Do "The Right Thing". At least I know approach #2 is possible, too. I'll see what happens.