View Single Post
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
I got my Google Voice invitation a few weeks ago, and immediately started tinkering with it. I'm really pleased with how I've set things up, and I've posted some tutorials to my blog. I've put links to the tutorials in my signature in case anyone is interested.

First, I set up my N810 to be a free wifi phone using Google Voice, Gizmo Project, the built in Internet Call client, and the DialCentral app.

Then, I remembered that I still had my old Sunrocket analog telephone adapter (ATA) laying around (I signed up with them one month before they went belly-up). I unlocked it using the Live CD method, configured it with my Gizmo settings, and set it up with my old landline phone. Google Voice is now my home phone number. Free incoming calls through Gizmo, and free outgoing calls using DialCentral on the tablet.

Today, I discovered that Gizmo Project now has Google Voice integration. You can put your GV account credentials in, and make free calls directly from a phone connected to an ATA configured with your Gizmo settings. So I now have free incoming and outgoing calls, and my GV number is the outgoing caller ID number. It's better than the service I used to pay for, and it's free. Also, incoming caller ID works when I use the ATA.

My ATA supports up to 2 phone lines, so when another GV invite arrived, I set my wife up with her own GV account and phone. We each now have a private home phone line and can call anywhere in the US without using cell phone minutes or paying a monthly fee.

Like I said, if anyone is interested in trying this out, the tutorials are below in the sig. I hope this is helpful.