View Single Post
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Hmm...

What I really hate about Android is
- the lack of mutlitasking - I freaking don't want anyone to close my apps. I am the one in control!
In practice, given a modern Android phone/tablet with 2GB+ RAM, this rarely happens. I've left SSH terminal sessions running for hours while using my tablet for other stuff. It's more reliable by far than my Jolla and none of the 10 minute task shuffling you have to do on iOS.

- the amount of malware - hell, you need an antivir on Android! It's becoming Windowsy even more
Maybe I'm lucky here but I've not come across any. On the other hand, if Maemo, Sailfish etc were more popular, maybe they'd have malware. On the face of it, the security model on both is a far cry from the sandboxing and other measures on the mainstream OS's.

- afaik you can't do package management on the command line (apt-get/zypper)
Not AFAIK.

Can one use the core Linux utils in the term (tar, find, grep, wget) on Android?
Not all of them are included but you can install them. Or install Busybox.

Is it possible to build any given C/C++ app (even the terminal one)? Assume I'd like to build Haskell/Brain****/Lisp for it.
On the device itself? Not sure why you wouldn't just use a computer, the Android ndk and a cross compiler.

As for what endsormeans says. The dealbreaker are the drivers. We have so many foss OSes. Ubuntu Touch, Plasma Mobile, FreeMantle (possibly), even Debiancould fit. But the first two work flawlessly on maybe 6 devices, none of them having a hw kbd. With the needed drivers and an unlocked bootloader we could have anything anywhere. So a device which supports the mainline kernel could fit.
Some of which already use libhybris to solve the driver problem.

I'm not intending to defend Android here but often in these discussions the problem seems to be ideological when pragmatically, Android usually isn't as restrictive as people think. And yes I'd love to see a "proper" Unix based pocket computer that works more like a desktop and less like an iPhone but so far that seems to be a very distant prospect.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: