View Single Post
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Spain
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
Hi,

I'm still using my n900 as a main daily phone. I think if you are interested in using so (i.e. as a daily main phone) you may want to think through want you would like to use it for.
Let me tell how I'm using it:

- My laptop sits at home for my wife and children so I use my n900 as a real pocket computer I can make call and send SMS with.
- The original battery died after 6 years (random reboots) so I bought another one (produced by Nokia) with 1430 mAh capacity. It is nearly a year old now but if I do not touch my phone (wifi on, email is syncing) it makes through even 2 days. Or more; I can't stand to touch it
- GPS is working fine for me; sometimes it takes some minutes to get a valid signal, but most of the times it takes only a minute (yes, I know that for today's devices it takes seconds...) or less. I use Sygic (I know it is outdated but for my country and needs it is enough; if I want up to date tiles (fo example for hiking) I use modrana.).
- For web browsing I use opera-mobile 12.1beta1-16. For most cases it is fine. For me... Slowliness is relative for me; I can't understand why is it so necesseary to make huge websites... Anyway, if I want to just read something I use links2. Even midori is available through chroot-ed kali linux.

- I use it for programming/learning programming. I have rebuilt vim with python support and I installed neovim on my kali.
- I have chroot-ed kali linux with i3 window manager; I use Maemo and Kali 50%-50%.
- I like it because I do not have to worry about anything - I can do what I want with my device and I can make my device to do what I want and when I want it...

So it fits my needs. But I do not really care about browser speed if it is enough for me. I do not use any social app (FB, Twitter, etc.).
It would be awesome to have more apps (for banking fo example) but I can live without these because I can adjust these through web browser (opera-mobile). It is a communitiy maintained device so I would recommend treat it that way.

jm

EDIT:// I forgot to mention that on my kali I have rawtherapee so I can edit my photos taken with blessn900 in dng format. It's speed is not bad - even editing curves takes 1-3 seconds to take effect (it depends on image size). I use it overclocked to 1100 MHz though...

Can you share with us your Kali image chroot if its possible??

The Following User Says Thank You to xiskillo For This Useful Post: