View Single Post
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
On Controls

Originally Posted by OVK View Post
EDIT: Thank you for adding my proposal into the possible enhancement list and also adding the "stop" function into idea. The problem of difficult controls might be taken care of when the accelerometer control function is functional but this might be an another workaround.
You make a good point. Both the starship and rover steering in the game require only three keys, not four. The "down arrow" key has no use for directional control, and as such is a waste of a central location for a thumb.

There are two ways of making use of that observation. The first is to essentially stick the "up arrow" key unless the "down arrow" key is pressed. This is what i've termed "Handbrake mode", and i will see about adding it, when i have time, as a separate option for both the lander (the most obvious change, since you almost always want to be going full-tilt planetside) and for the ship (less useful because not using thrust is a more common case).

The other would be to map "Up"" to the "down arrow" key, which would be a problem for menus. There's nothing to stop you from doing it yourself using some other keys besides the arrows, though. For example, j, k, and l as left, forward, and right, respectively.

I have tried using the accelerometer for controlling the ship, and it was not a very pleasant experience. I'm not saying it won't become an option, but i'm not expecting it to solve any control issues.

Other news

I have added a high resolution starmap image to the first post. It is a user-designed replica of the poster that was included in the box of Star Control 2, so it's not a spoiler: If you load it into Maemo Browser, you can zoom in with the circle gesture and it's actually a very useful tool to find things more easily than using the in-game starmap. While i'd like to make the in-game starmap as slick and user-friendly as Maemo Browser, it's a longer-term goal.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: