View Single Post
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by norayr View Post
several times I expressed the idea here that we need to free maemo. I mean fremantle. to rewrite/replace non-free parts of it thus make it live without being dependent on the old body.
n900 case is cool for me. but it's a body which will die one day. software is like soul, it can use different bodies. so may be someone gets a strong brand new body like nexus, and he'd like to use good old maemo on it? we need to get a free maemo first. the body is not that important as the free soul. let's get free maemo running on n900 and/or gta04 and/or n9(50) and/or google nexus.

Running on one type of board is like having one hardware adaptation. Let's have many hardware adaptations. Why one?

Yes, free hardware is better. But some may prefer just to use free software on non-free hardware. It's anyway better.

Though we don't have free maemo now. At least free maemo is an improvement.
Yeah, Free Maemo is something we would like to see someday. Personally, I think Neo900 can boost development of free replacements. When we'll port Fremantle to Neo900, we'll see exactly what closed parts are there. Some of them will probably have to be replaced (pulseaudio?), some of them will need some adapting interfaces. That may serve as a ground work for proper replacements later.

At least that's how I see it. It'd be pity to be stuck with closed blobs on such nice free device forever

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post: