View Single Post
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I like this idea. After all you don't want others seeing pics of you or your girlfriend in compromising positions etc !

I would think something like a protected folder would have to be viewed in an Explorer type window that asks for a password to access. when viewing, icons clicked etc to open in the default associated programs. There's no point having pictures appear up in the photo viewer with a description saying "wife naked" and a locked icon, as that will still cause inquiring minds.

Or perhaps, when the picture/video/music/etc is opened from the protected folder, it shows only the protected files available in the player, or perhaps *all* of the files on the device are accessible.
This discussion very much overlaps with t.m.o thread Data Privacy whilst Traveling with Mobile Computer.

However, the above has the very vector I already asserted: if someone has physical access to your device they can tamper with it. In your example, even on software layer. What may only be required is root access. If there is an encrypted image they may be interested in it precisely for the very reason it is encrypted. If you use a specific directory instead of whole homedir (or whole disk encryption) there will also be metadata such as .bash_history, locate.updatedb, and cached thumbnails which must be taken into account. The solutions are simple: either do not host such data on your device, do not lend your device if it contains such data, or keep in mind metadata leaking and make sure does not happen. Good luck with the last option, for many won't understand or be able to do that, and it does not take into account 3rd party applications.

BTW, Nokia's DRM framework on Maemo 6 may be interesting for this purpose although you don't have your own private key so it would not stop Nokia or those who are able to force Nokia (ie., The Law) accessing the data.