View Single Post
Originally Posted by stevomanu View Post
we need loads more apps , ovi store is crap an lets face it , the apps you can get aint the best , such a shame !

Unfortunately this just isn't a mass production sort of community. Yes, there are some quality apps, but overall more developers are drawn to the popular OS's, heck I think even Symbian gets more love from Devs.

On top of that, Maemo is technically dead, in a year or so there will still be enthusiasts, but Nokia killed any chances of a large, long lived community. Realize that even if you or I might not agree with some things about the Iphone, Apple has allowed a continuous community to exist for 4 complete years. I can imagine that being exciting for alot of people.

The N900 is a great device, it has baseline functionality unrivaled by no non-Nokia phone and an OS with awesome levels of user control, however it is aging. While, early builds of both Ios and Android were bare bones on functionality, they are catching up. With a large, active, community behind each, that feels safe that their OS of choice won't just be dropped, they are going to become viable alternatives for people like me who want ALOT of control over their device but aren't necessarily into diving into the backend of the phone every time they need a solution.

That said, if Meego can survive a few years, I think it has a shot. The Maemo community has been awesome, the apps output has been great considering the size of the community. Hopefully MeeGo will get the same love.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmberta For This Useful Post: