View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Oh, the joys of going mainstream...

The Digitally Restricted Mode in Maemo 6 may be OK if changing between the two modes is as easy as checking/unchecking a box in the settings menu... (and maybe restart).
If it requires more than just that (like connecting the device to a PC via USB and issue a command similar to R&D mode), the game's over for good.

It may also be OK if what you cannot do outside the DRM-jail is restricted to the absolute minimum: run applications and play media that are defective by design. It might well happen that for some reason it's decided that, say, access to the telephony-components is only possible in restricted mode. That would be unacceptable.

Also, it must not be possible for resellers to manipulate the device in a way that it becomes DRM only. Yes, one could argue that even then it's still your choice where you buy it from, but: Having a majority of devices out that can't even switch to DRM-free mode would encourage Nokia to make Maemo 7 or Maemo 8 DRM-only. (This is what I fear most: that Harmattan is the last iteration that provides a DRM-free mode at all)

One thing I have to say, though, even though I'm very embarrassed:
I do hate and fight the idea of DRM... but Nokia's Comes With Music on a Maemo device would be something I'd use. I'm a hypocrite.

Another side note:
It will be interesting to see how they implement DRM technically on top of a free system... And if their solution - once Maemo gains momemtum - will make it over to the desktop. Anyone here has an idea how it could be done?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: