View Single Post
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Most likely software updates will also bring your remote security features where you can track and hopefully retrieve your stolen devices. And that lockcode prevention is part of that story.

Users beeing able to set a flag which would allow bootloader unlock would be one idea, not making any promises, but putting it in drawing board along with imei based solution.

PS. Oh and forgot to mention that locked bootloader+lockcode combination is also protecting your data, so if someone steals your phone with company secrets then he is not able to access them (but with factory reset & lockcode combination device can be still wiped). Some people like that their secrets remain secret, but yes, some people dont care if their nosy wife or husband can spy them by bypassing the lockcode with bootloader commands.
Thank you for your answer, those are very valid points. However I think security measures should be optional so the user can decide what's valued more. Regarding data protecting, I'm using dm-crypt on my laptop for exactly the reasons you mentioned (minus nosy && linux-skilled partner ), I feel however not too much reassured by a lock code & locked bootloader. At least jolla care can flash it and access my data, and so probably someone else at some point. Maybe the performance hit is too big atm for encryption on a mobile without hardware aes support, that's for example a thing I'd like to test at some point - but not if I'm risking to brick the device permanently. So a locked bootloader potentially may lower device security for me.

Last edited by Oblomow; 2013-12-20 at 10:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post: