View Single Post
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
I am a really avid podcast listener and buying a Maemo 5 device is really dependent on being able to use it for podcasts. Seeing that you have ported gPodder makes me a very happy camper. Thanks.
Great to hear that

Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
The app is looking already really good and functional. I have one small question though. On my Nokia phones I have problems playing back podcasts like the ones from Engadget and GDGT, as they have some sort of enhanced podcast format with bookmarks and the like. Can anyone confirm whether this will work with gPodder and Maemo
If you are talking about Enhanced podcasts like the ones used by iPods, then I think playback is possible, but you will not be able to make use of the chapter marks with the 'normal' Media Player.

This article describes how to add chapter marks to files, but it uses an utility that seems to be only available on Mac OS X. Ideally, all podcasts should use an open standard, like ID3v2 Chapters. A tool for adding ID2v2 chapters already exists.

Of course, there's always Panucci, which is a media player specifically created for playing back podcasts and audio books. It's open source, and will be available on Maemo 5 sooner or later. Adding ID3v2 chapter support will be trivial, but I haven't found a way to read chapter data from the AAC files for iPods.

If you send me example files or a link to the feed that contains enhanced podcasts, I can try them out and tell you what works (on Maemo 4) and what does not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: