View Single Post
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Usual Tips on being good to your USB

File down you USB cable's hooks.
Be gentle with your N900 when using USB:
- Don't swing it around (no matter how good the music is)
- Don't drop it on the floor.

Name:  USB File Teeth.jpg
Views: 36127
Size:  21.8 KB
NOTE: File is for reference only, any metal file will do

--------------------------

Why is the USB "Weak" on the N900, well if you look at this picture you can see that the USB "Feet" are only connected to small points, where when soldered down the USB is connected to a MUCH larger area, even if you just make a small patch.

Just adding a quick guide of what to do when making the soldered version.

When you get to the USB after taking of the MicroSD "off" then clean the area beside it, now use what ever you have to scratch of some of the paint (i used a small screwdriver). just scrape it of like it is drawn in the pictures.
Now you should have some exposed copper on each side of the USB, you need to keep the soldering iron on here with solder applied before it "gets a grip" and while you do this hold the iron up against the USB metal, and add solder here to, you need to warm up the USB a little or else the solder will be "cold" soldered and then this fix will be useless because the solder will not really hold on to the USB.
As for the cover, try to assemble the mainboard into the cover and see if it lines up with the hole in the cover, you can press a little down over the USB as when the N900 is assembled the screws hold the whole thing down, so again try to see if it fits before you mod the cover, this is the step that can take the most time in this fix.

--------------------------

Please PM me with the links i don't find, im searching through threads, but you may remember some, or you might have made some.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2012-06-08 at 01:41.

The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post: