View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
I think it's this conversation behind the link that makes svdwal anxious about the compatibility between Maemo6 and Symbian^4. From what I gather, there is no official stance from Nokia on this.

http://developer.symbian.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=3363
The most worrying thing in that thread is the one from markw that says:

Originally Posted by markw
Of course you'll be able to run pure Qt apps on both platforms, but if they don't look like native apps because they don't use native widgets that's a big problem for many. There'd be no major problem with separate implementations of the widgets on the two platforms as long as they shared a common set of interfaces (i.e. as long as we have source compatibility - and functional compatibility, not just "it compiles on both"). However, that doesn't appear to be the case from what I've seen so far...
Having been very disappointed by what Maemo did to the GTK+ toolkit in Maemo 5 (breaking lots of standard widgets and putting the "fixes" into custom widgets), I desperately hope that they do it right for Qt.

Really, it's great if you add some mobile-specific stuff to a Maemo-specific custom widget set, but please, don't break the generic widgets. You shouldn't have to use the Maemo stuff to make your app look OK, although it's fine if you need to use Maemo stuff to make your app look awesome.

qgil's post is reassuring; if their "generic" QT app continues to look "right" in Maemo and Ubuntu, I'll relax completely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: