View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
TMO has its own spirit. Let's keep it. There's no reason we can't support both TMO and whatever Jolla comes up with. I at least had no problem being in MeeGo forums and TMO at the same time.
FMC been an alternative FOSS forum that competed with tmo while Nokia same time had their own forum.nokia.com and whatnot else. This FMC/tmo redundancy been a pretty stupid move causing duplicate effort and split of community.

Sure Jolla MUST have own forum, just like Nokia does. It's a forum run by a company and targeted at that company's customers. Jolla sells a commercial product, so they need a user forum that of course is run and ruled by Jolla (helpdesk) and called jolla.com/forum or whatever.

Then OTOH we got FOSS projects, like nemo and - at least that been my impression until recently that changed - sailfish. Some developer might want to engage with and contribute to sailfish, possibly without ever owning a Jolla device. When I were that FOSS developer, I'd feel quite uncomfortable to post about my porting of sailfish to $xy-platform on a forum ruled and run and censored by a company like Jolla. I'd rather like to use a community owned forum like tmo for that, particularly seeing that a lot of other sailfish developers are already here and a lot more of potential future sailfish developers been here since ages doing development for maemo and meego and harmattan and thus providing all the knowledge base that sailfish/nemo is based on. Now if the company (Jolla) would explicitly state that they support the sailfish movement in tmo and want to contribute as peers among peers (and actually DO so), that would be the icing on top. I don't see any need for Jolla to create a new place for all the users interested in sailfish in here, and/or for those that may want to come and join here when they start looking into sailfish development. OTOH when jolla-forum.com would attract same developers that are already in here, do you think Jolla-forum.com would be a better place than this forum, for non-developer game-playing kids and dads who buy a gift for their wife, in the end?

It seems like stezz is not distinguishing between sailfish "community" and jolla customer base "community" and the maemo-et-al FOSS community or "THE FOSS community" at large, between user groups and developer communities. There's a thing like the FOSS spirit and I fail to find it in Jolla's activities so far, just like it always been hard to find in how Nokia acted.

Hope my take on it is more clear now.

cheers
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-10 at 04:28.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: