View Single Post
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
After some recent debate about building our own device, and countless wishlists on TJC, and what Neo900 is doing, and the unique demand of our community, I think perhaps there is a chance we could build something using Kickstarter or Indiegogo as I know people in China who has the ability to design/build a physical slider phone with 4G. At least, if I was building a similar device to Neo900, I have the access to SMT and PCBA solution and moulding etc... and using components from an old N900 would be irrelevant.

With the right help inside or outside my job, and with the right front invest (by Kickstarter or Indigogo?) We could build a mid- or mid-high specs landscape QWERTY slider handset with the modern hardware. And I do know how they are made and how the procedure is.

Let's go back to the topic, so in order to build a "Powered by Maemo" device (And yes I do want that printed at the back of the device) there is two critical question:

1) I'm not a software guy, but will Fremantle work on a modern chipset? Qualcomm or MTK? As I understand certain components (probably majority) are close sources so how they are going to be ported? Will Fremantle or its equivalent work on a new SoC provide "reasonable" front engineering cost?

2) Because we are such a niche group, in order to cover design/testing/logistics/moulding/producing line/certification/transportation/warranty........ cost, the device won't be cheap. How much will you pay for a 5" landscape slider, assume it's 32+3GB, running on a Qualcomm 625 soc, and with the OS we want?

Those are the most critical questions for the plan. But any suggestions are welcomes. (And yes, not considering Jolla's OS at the moment, if we have the option for something free and open)

=============================================

Update IGG Campaign live now at: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...o-z/x/16122878

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-03-03 at 12:17.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post: