View Single Post
Yes, I apologize for creating a new thread on this issue. I did find and read the existing ones, but came away confused and without a clue -- mostly because they don't stay on topic, with people talking of very different things at the same time : PAN vs. DUN, tethering *through* the N900 vs. tethering *it* through a phone or PC, etc.

So please let's keep this one focused : my question is about using the phone/3G capability of the N900, via Bluetooth, to connect a Windows laptop to the Internet, using DUN. In other words, using the N900 as a 3G BT modem, as I have done for years with S60 phones for my tablets and laptops.

With a Nokia phone and 770/N8x0 tablet this was a total no-brainer. With a Windows machine a bit less (mostly due to BT support in XP), but still easy once you knew how.

With the N900 I've been trying for a week and still haven't succeeded.

At first try the laptop couldn't even see the N900 as a BT modem. From various threads here I gathered that DUN wasn't enabled by default and needed tweaking (duh...).

Then I found, installed and even updated a package with a promising name, "Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking".

This did a lot of good, as the Windows remote connection now goes through most of the motions : find port, dial number, log in... right up to the last one in fact, where is stays stuck on "Registering your computer on the network" (or something similar -- my Windows speaks French, sorry :-).

So... is there something I've misread, misunderstood, forgotten, or is this basic functionality just still not working yet ?

Thanks for any pointers !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post: