View Single Post
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I haven't seen a thing about GDC internal assets before your answer - but, it doesn't mean that it isn't there. Mr. Joerg have (a little irritating, if you ask me) tendency to edit his posts much after anyone could have any reason to scroll back, so it's possible that you saw something that I didn't, just by reading it a little earlier.

If you want to see and example of this is (just as a live sample of how communication problems arise in this very case) visible even in this very thread. My opening post have direct quote of Joerg's answer, and in his single post here, he quotes *the same* post with a little different content. Namely, the "GDC assets" bit is missing from my quote (because it wasn't there, back when he wrote it), but mysteriously appeared many hours later, in the middle of the night
I'm sure it was already mentioned few months ago. And sorry, but while it's true that Joerg edits his posts a lot to add something or make them sound better, this particular example is pretty unconvincing, since aside from added sentence at the end which is not really important in this context, quotes from your and Joerg's posts match word to word. And last edit to that post was made a few minutes after it was initially posted.

Also, the "GDC assets part" you claim was missing (but if you look carefully, you can see strange "Also: And no" in your quote, suggesting that your citation just skipped the nested quote...) was actually simply a quote from earlier post. I understand that lengthy posts in thread with almost 2k of them makes it easy to unintentionally miss some details, but you seem to do everything to find an excuse to not to admit that...

Generally, the sole question of "why anyone would want to have schematics of 100% open device) seems strange to me.
s/schematics/project files/

It's not a software where you can download a package, call "make install" and you're done. Usefulness of those files is limited by the fact, that they are pretty much tied to particular production methods, availability of components etc.

Schematics are very important in any open (as in: well documented, unlocked, hackable etc.) device and we will provide them *for sure*. Project files are completely different beast and can be sometimes problematic to release, so it's natural to consider all pros and cons, with "why would anyone need it" being one of them. Going through all the hassle just for the sake of openness, without any pragmatic benefits to anyone, is simply not worth it.

Thus, I think that dropping any viable method of making Neo900 more widely recognized isn't helping. At least without trying, esp. if it doesn't cost anything (materially)
Sure, we're not dropping anything. If only I had unlimited time and energy it would already be done months ago

I still see some possible tensions - like, even in the Neo900 Team body, there seem to be different view on "if we should even try to release those project files at all, why anyone need them anyway", as opposed to "lets do everything to release as much as we can, and explain why we can't some things". You know, the inversion of roles - for some - like you - it's natural that if you don't release something in Open project, you explain why. For others (Mr. Joerg, as it seems from posts here) it's the other way around - people should explain why they want it and convince the releasing party.
See above.

[edit]
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Jörg always has been project leader. The Neo900 project only exists because he envisioned the idea brought together the people to make it possible. AIUI, Nikolaus has always supported this and the only problem is that the the project leader must make the financial relevant decisions which meant that Neo900 UG had to be set up.
Exactly. Even in our internal communication Nikolaus has stated multiple times that GDC's role as a entrepreneur in this project is not exactly what he envisioned and is not 100% happy with it.

Last edited by dos1; 2014-05-19 at 10:23.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post: