View Single Post
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Sure, all I was doing was giving an example of how the website already has a filtering mechanism.

I'm really trying to accomplish primarily one thing: make this forum viable again for people who use Diablo and aren't much interested in the N900/Fremantle posts that absolutely, overwhelmingly swamp the posts that are relevant to us.

And the way I'm saying this goal could readily be accomplished is by making New Posts effective for us. (I think most regular contributors rely on going regularly to the New Posts button.)

So the way I (and I believe most people in my situation) would use my "checkbox filtering with memory" is to check off almost every category except Fremantle and N900 and Off Topic. From the point of view of someone interested primarily in the pre-N900 era of Maemo devices, that would clear out the vast amount of irrelevant threads and let us (a) way more efficiently see what we care about and (b) feel like we still have a home here.

Go through New Posts and count what percentage of threads that would eliminate -- its a huge percentage. It's not a perfect solution, but it would truly be a giant step; indeed, although imperfect, it would be sufficient.

I also know there would be threads that are in the "Applications Forum" or "Multimedia Forum" that I wish I could get omitted, but would show up despite the filter because of the deficiency in the organization of the Categories and Sub-Categories ("Forums"). Yes, they need to be re-organized. But that need does not mean the filter-with-memory solution wouldn't be a huge help; and there is no reason for that need to delay implementation of a New Posts filtering system.

(BTW, now and then I would look through N900 and Off Topic posts, due to general interest. The N900 isn't for me, but I do care about future Maemo development. I just don't want to be forced to go through it all the time.)

EDIT: I also want to point out that Solution #1 does nothing to hurt N900 users -- and would, in fact, help them, too, by letting them filter out Categories they don't always care about. I hope that N900 users will vote for Solution #1 also as a sort of support for Minority Rights on the forum! We few N8x0/770 users that still frequent the forum really need it! Be kind!

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-12-18 at 22:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post: