View Single Post
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Does your job also include finishing a project because I haven't seen much of that?

Along those lines, since you say that MeeGo in your personal opinion has most future does that mean that Nokia is supporting Mer and if not then why is Mer being worked on if MeeGo in your opinion is a more plausible OS option?

I'm sorry to sound 'bitter' but honestly the lack of focus ('Mer for N8xx', 'No wait, we're also doing Mer for N900', 'No wait Mer is dead now it's Mer2 that will come', 'Oh wait. no MeeGo on N8xx is better') is indeed rather tiring and has become one huge disappointment.

If your job, as you mention above, is to start development of things in the community I think you've done that. But if you going forward expect people to beta test, etc you might also want to think about sticking to a project.
Ouch, That's a bit harsh.

I agree slightly that the port of Mer to the N900 seemed to us on the outside to be a distraction, although I suspect that it was not a great amount of extra work compared with building Mer from scratch, and that for the Devs it may have been useful for debugging the desktop environment as the initial build was (and is) very slow on the N8x0.

I think that the Meego announcement caught most people on the outside of the Nokia inner sanctum by surprise. I can see why it makes a lot more sense to put the effort into porting meego to N8x0, than continuing to head down the mer path.

I'm no dev, but I can appereciate the effort that went into these projects, and am full of awe and respect for the people who largely give their time and experience freely to these projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post: