View Single Post
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'm saying if I "encrypted" my drive and yet someone could just pull up the drive anyway.. it's futile.

Maybe considering these devices do have a keyboard... Nokia should implement a "pass phrase" instead of a PIN. Cuz you are correct.. in any algorithm of encryption a brute force of 5-number password will be easy - unless they move to some form of PKI solution.

But again.. all this just means that to me.. "securing" the device is really just to prevent my childish co-workers from setting my background to being a picture of a naked Rick Astley or sending random love texts to my contacts....

It doesn't actually make the device "secure".
Agreed, but it's just like a login or screensaver password, it doesn't encrypt anything and is meant (or at least should be seen only as) to repel annoying behaviors from unscrupulous people.

Actually, even if the password was stronger i doubt it would secure more of the device as it's probably possible to enable some R&D mode... But like any computer, physical access is hard to secure if you don't have full encryption on.

Of course, if it had full root encryption with only a 1% battery drain hit and with the help of a specific co-processor, i'd be much more happy i guess, but that won't happen anytime soon.

And I'd rather be able to recover my password through ssh (which does ask a password too!) than have to send the device back for some security by obscurity proprietary solution from them. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post: