View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm actually going to resist rooting this one. I still have the Xoom that's rooted running Team EOS Jelly Bean 4.1.1 (build 121 as of this morning) and going to use this one to actually view movies and books. Movies tend to be blocked when you're rooted.

I know... I know. odd. But I'm going to go as vanilla stock on this one for a while until the dust clears. And besides, I'm not in a rush to reinstall things because I've unlocked and rooted it. The ADB way of unlocking seems to kill all user data (I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I've seen so far).

All in all, I'm enjoying the Nexus 7. I thought the form factor would be a problem.
I've never heard anyone point that out to me before (movies not working if you're rooted). While rooted, I successfully played movies through Crackle, Netflix and Google's own Play store with no problems at all. On a technical note--I'm not sure why they wouldn't work. How can any app tell that you're rooted (considering everything STILL looks locked down, even when you're rooted, unless you give an app permission to see superuser access). In any case, I didn't see any problems at all! Feel free to root and enjoy your flicks!

Also... ADB doesn't root the device, it's the fastboot that lets you install CWM... which then lets you install a superuser app (i.e. root). But yeah.. installing the CWM will blow away the user data and /sdcard data (i.e. nearly back to stock with some exceptions). You're always recommended to make a backup of stuff anyway (ala Titanium).

What did you think was wrong with the form factor?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2012-07-20 at 07:02.