View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Dear @olf:

sorry for missing your reply - it somehow slipped. Hence the delayed reply.

Re FSO: yes, please address it to Jolla, as the target would be different. I think it makes sense to contact them regarding it and get engaged in constructive discussion. If we manage to pull them out from this comfort zone with "soon we will decide".

Re GPL and APIs: As you have to link to Qt, I expect that GPL will infect your code through it. This is in contrast to SQL and other ways of process separation allowing you to mix licenses. GPL has it's purpose and we just have realize it when the license for your code is selected. In case of Qt, it is a way to ask for commercial licenses for non-free software. So, if Jolla goes for Qt update, there maybe a problem with mixing non-free Silica with GPLv3 Qt. While with the apps they can use proprietary licenses as software is built in-house, I don't know whether it extends to SFOS API distributed for all.

Cannot add much to your list, though.

As for why we need to update: @olf addressed it well. In addition, if we are in sync with others (Plasma Mobile, for example), we can work together on browser, email clients, and so on. Right now we are in isolation and have to choose the platform. While Flatpak helps, don't expect it to be working that well for all the software. And, in the end, we, as the developers, will have to choose whether work on ancient SFOS Qt or switch the platform.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: