View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Bump out of sheer conviction that there's no good reason for this thread to sink.

- Edit -

I found an issue with both busyboxes in this thread, the updated and updated enhanced - different character support is lacking. Namely, I cannot get characters like €, ≠, ≤, ≥, pretty sure ∞, and the entire Russian alphabet, and quite a few other things that aren't the standard basic set of characters. Any and all of them just print question marks. I know this isn't my system because running the old busybox (I have them sitting in the /home / /opt partition for testing like this) sh works, as does using the same characters in every other program. It's just inside the new busybox shells that they break.

"Wait-a-minute", you (iDont) might say, "I made sure I used the same settings as Nokia did for character support" (my guess, I didn't actually check the config.maemo files) "- it shouldn't change." Alas, I have slightly inconvenient news - I mentioned this to a family member (who as a hobby does a bunch of Tomato router Linux firmware); turns out that as of a somewhat recent version of Busybox (1.17.something or the 1.18.somethings), the default config settings for UTF code support changed, so now you have to use different config options to get the same characters supported.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-05-06 at 06:17. Reason: Actually useful content.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: