View Single Post
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Sure, I'll gladly answer The things are easy once you know them, but can be confusing at the start. I remember how many times I had problems with it in the past...

That's why I have put quotas there - I meant general instructions from USB Mode or H-E-N (I assume, that you're using USB Mode).
Hmmm I don't see any USB Mode (I am using it, yes) instruction telling me when to turn on a particular mode if an external +5V source is attached.

But, it's all not entirely related to hostmoding on N900. I meant that - in funny twist - those non-compliant hubs are better for N900, as they try to give peripherals connected to them as much current as needed, and can draw those power from N900's side (which can be already "augmented" with power from 3th branch of Y-cable) - which mean that those passive hubs act entirely like active hubs, for all intents and purposes.
Ok, but if you are not hostmoding on the N900, why else would you attach/power peripherals to the N900? In other words, why would you use the N900 purely as a +5V source? Also note that the N900 isn't much of a source anyway, it gives only 200mA.

Yes, see above. By the way, if you tinker with it a little, active hub can be powered from the same +5V power source as your N900 is charged from (via 3th branch of Y-cable) - this way, you can carry just one charger with you, instead of two. But for this, you need powerful enough +5V power source. I use a 2A +5V charger, that I have modified to contain two USB ports. I connect 3th branch of Y-cable to it (for charging N900), and another cable for powering active hub, to the 2nd port.
l33t splicing skillz.

One question remains: when you power the peripherals with the N900 (host mode+boost) and an external +5V source, do peripherals draw current from the N900? I am asking because I don't want the N900 battery drained when I have a powered hub at hand, and I can't seem to tell USB mode to go into "host mode+charging" then. Note the powered hub does not (as you mentioned earlier) charge the N900; I guess this is why USB mode won't let me select the charging mode. In fact, as I was switching back and forth between the modes in USB mode, the N900 rebooted.

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post: