View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not that I disagree with that sentiment, in fact just the opposite. But there is one fault with t: it is all about me, me, me. "I" am sick and tired, device "I" have purchased, etc, etc.

Now try to see it from the manufacturer's perspective. They did not spend thousands of man-hours (sorry, "person"-hours, to satisfy any social warriors here) to give you "a general purpose machine to run anything you damn please on". They spend them to give you a games console. From their point of view, if you want a portable Linux machine, then go and buy one. What are you saying? There isn't one? Not my problem! Bakers sell bread, butches sell meat. It is not the baker's job to satisfy your craving for an elephant steak, nor Nintendo's to satisfy your craving for a pocket Linux computer. Of course manufacturers will do anything in their arsenal to make sure you use their products in the way they intended. It is not some kind of conspiracy against you, it is simply them protecting their interests.

I am not saying that it is right or how it should be. If things were as they should be then I could fly and teleport. I am only saying that it is how it is.

In light of that, I see running Linux on a games console as a nice bonus, but not as my Holy Right™.
Indeed. I don't disagree with you at all. I haven't bought a new games console since the GameCube (2001) because I generally don't agree with the practices of console manufacturers. The manufacturers are of course entitled to do what they like. I know very well that I'm not their target audience. That doesn't mean that I don't like to unwind occasionally and play the odd video game. I was merely addressing the point that NX500 and plenty of others have made over time, which is "what's the point of running Linux on something that was designed for playing games?" To me there is a point as it's actually an incentive that might tempt me to purchase a console.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: