View Single Post
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I don't get the point of keeping beta software out of -devel and -testing. Those repositories exist for the whole purpose of bug testing unstable software.

I for one sit on the -devel repository because I'm willing to bug test and have software break every update.
You're right, but looking at the download statistics it seems that the majority of users have extras-devel enabled. If I push these betas to extras-devel, several thousand people will install them. I want the more obvious problems to be fixed before doing that.
I guess one of the RCs will go to extras-devel though.

I see your point that this defeats the purpose of extras-devel a bit, but I'd blame it on Nokia for including the (disabled) extras-devel in the default firmware while leaving extras-testing entirely out. IMHO that's where the extras promotion process is broken: For the average user it's easy to use unstable software, but hard to use/test supposedly more stable testing software. This results in a long extras promotion (see extras-testing queue) and too much usage of extras-devel by non-testers.