View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by earthwings
I see your point that this defeats the purpose of extras-devel a bit, but I'd blame it on Nokia for including the (disabled) extras-devel in the default firmware while leaving extras-testing entirely out. IMHO that's where the extras promotion process is broken: For the average user it's easy to use unstable software, but hard to use/test supposedly more stable testing software. This results in a long extras promotion (see extras-testing queue) and too much usage of extras-devel by non-testers.
Actually, extras-devel isn't included by default (enabled or disabled).

If you reflash the N900 and then look at the catalogues in Hildon Application Manager, only Maemo.org's Extras is enabled. Extras-Testing and Extras-Devel aren't even there. FApMan, as far as I know, doesn't add them (disabled or not) either.

Nay, the great flood of end-users to -devel is self-caused by the users themselves. The second part is that the promotion process is sometimes a PITA for users - you can't use your talk.maemo.org sign on to vote, and it's not intuitive to find the voting pages. Plus some devs are lazy, and/or don't commit in the long-term, so they upload something to -devel but don't bother adding an icon and bugtracker link, or whatever other minor bits are needed to promote down to Extras.