View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
It's at least something.
It's a start.
No, it's not.

It would be "something", if this would be as good as it could get under the circumstances, but it's not. Short of scrapping the whole idea, this is actually as bad as it could get under the circumstances.

It's also not a start, because the idea isn't new. It's reinventing the wheel the hundredth time. Therefore Samsung deserves no beginner's bonus. I have to assume they know what they are doing and they know they are doing it wrong (in terms of openness and longevity).

Why can't you guys see this??
I see it, but I don't think it's worth being praised. On the contrary, I believe it deserves to be criticized for intentionally being implemented badly.

Which other company has made it even possible like this?
I'm not up to date, but I believe Google has offered something similar on their Chromebooks.
There have also been other Android apps, that allowed to set up GNU/Linux chroots on phones.

The idea of offering an easy-to-use GNU/Linux chroot to average users deserves to be respected for the idea in itself, but not because it's hard to implement.
I mean, qole basically created Easy Debian in his spare time and I'd estimate that he spent 10-20% of his work on actually getting it running in principle, and 80-90% on making it end-user friendly.
Samsung got exactly those first 10-20% wrong. Samsung didn't just fail to make it open, a chroot is a very open thing by default. They actually put effort into closing it down. That deserves to be frowned upon.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: