View Single Post
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Can you do things like deposit checks directly from your N900? I don't currently have a smartphone, just an N800, and I think that Diablo is close enough to perfect for a mobile UI (at least compared to all the other mobile UIs I've used)...but I find myself using my wife's android phone more and more because some of the apps are darn useful. Case in point, I'm traveling a lot more for work lately and have a lot of expenses that need to be reimbursed. Just discovered a great service that makes creating the expense reports much easier, including apps on the phone that let you take a picture of the receipt and it imports all of the data for you. They have apps for iOS, Android, Blackberry, and even WebOS, but certainly not Maemo or Meego. And all of those expenses are then reimbursed by check...which used to mean weeks before I could make it to the bank to deposit them, and now I just do it from the phone in 30 seconds.
It's a bad example for me, I don't use checks (we rarely, or almost never do in sweden afaik).

I have the asus transformer prime tablet which is a ICS droid. It's a pretty expensive and frontline android device so you could say that I have no reason to speak against it. I find it this way: Apps are typically very tailormade for some specific use, but if you want to move out of those specific use cases they were designed for you typically end up with having to use a regular browser anyway, and the n900 one is a really good one. I actually find it in some cases even better than the droid browsers (I have three different ones, and to be honest I find them using your words, "clunky"), even if the n900 flash support is outdated by now.

I have several times ended up in the following, first I try some application on the prime, doesn't really do what I want so I try the droid browser which is also kind of limited phonestyle browser, so I end up by turning to my N900 or my laptop.
Can't help it, but my view on it is that the N900 is far away from being outdated, because it still do some things better than what newer phones do these days. Don't forget: The n900 was primarily designed to be an internet tablet rather than a typical smartphone. It simply does things better because it is more like a regular computer with a more desktop like OS in the bottom rather than a typical sandboxed "single process at a time" smartphone OS.

Last edited by Larswad; 2012-04-25 at 11:49.