Thread: [SailfishOS] Neato Vorwerk Robot app
View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would not necessarily call it "badly flawed". Just "naively implemented". There are a lot of advantages that solution brings, resulting in a simpler implementation. Not only for the manufacturer, but also for the user. You may have the know-how to talk to the thermostat in your bedroom from your phone on the beach on Ibiza but my sister does not. She needs a device that talks to a central server and a phone app talking to the same server. There are a million people like my sister for every juiceme.

Of course there are disadvantages too! For example...

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Even if there was no sinister ulterior motivations from the manufacturer who so wants to become more of a service operator then just purveyor of HW I'd feel extermely uncomfortable to allow it.
...this is one of them. It is not so much that the manufacturer "wants" to be the operator, it is more like he is "forced to become" one. In many cases the roles of "HW purveyor" and "service operator" are separated. An obvious example is smart meters: in such cases, the "service operator" is your utility company, not the meter manufacturer.
These things are the warning signals; when the services are both to be meant to be used by everybody's second cousins and the service provider is not working on their core competence area, it is a valid receipe for a disaster!

There is no such thing as an unbreakable networked system, and the more closed the system is the more vulnerable it becomes. When a system is to be both idiot-proof and tamper-resistant while at the same time it leverages the whole bloody internetz as a connectivity method it is going to be really difficult and really expensive to specify, implement, test and maintain.

It is going to be eyebrows-raisingly expensive even to huge corporations like in automotive and telecom businesses where they have the incentive to do it correctly and dilute the cost of the system around their already large R&D expenses.
It is absolutely impossible that some household-appliance company can resource it to make it correctly.

tldr; blackhats are going to walk in and out your house and you will never know about it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: