View Single Post
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
EDIT: fixed my mistake, thanks, pelago!

If it's script or anything console-based (running in Terminal), you do not need to write sweedish or any other localized directory names instead of english ones. You can see "Dokument", I can see "Dokumenty", others may see "Documents", but on all our devices it's just "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents" (watch out, directory and file names are case-sensitive in linux). The name "Dokument" is only displayed in GUI (Graphical User Interface - nice looking apps without ugly black terminal with white chars), while it's not real directory's name (in the meaning: how it is named physically on device). It's the same in Windows since Vista or 7, in 7 my desktop directory in explorer shows as C:/Uzytkownicy/misiak/Pulpit, while if i open terminal (cmd.exe), it's in fact C:/Users/misiak/Desktop. It may be confusing at first, but it's great solution, because:
- users see directory names that are familiar to them in their preferred language;
- all software and scripts can just operate on the same paths on all devices, regardless of language, so they become somehow universal.

I hope I made it more understandable to you

Last edited by misiak; 2012-04-11 at 15:14. Reason: mistakes

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post: