View Single Post
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
For me, compcache works and I feel the speed/occasional lags tradeoff OK
Could be you are not having lots of background processes, daemons and so on running? I am always having > 200 MB swap in use. Maybe for a lesser amount compcache is working?

Currently I've swapset installed, so I think it sets swaps after start of Hildon-desktop
Then it is normal, that a few MBs are used within eMMC swap, as swapset enables compcache at a later time.
Could be done a bit earlier.

I mean:
If data used 'often' are swapped in compcache, we could try to swap out 'old' data from compcache to 'real' swap in order to keep most used data in ram. I did not found any mechanism like that - and at a second glance it looks like it won't make sense in a desktop system where we don't have so many constraints and compressed file systems. I am currently using two smaller eMMC swaps instead of a big one, and it feels more laggy but with shorter lags. It is really hard to tell if there are differences without a test suite and with so many use cases.
Now I understand.
No, as freemangordon stated in some earlier post. There is no control when/where/which swap is used, if compcache is enabled.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: