View Single Post
Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
Why a new app: I really liked your DC and wanted to create something like it for more than just maemo. I know DC is python and so can probably run on more platforms than I could manage with just QT. Nevertheless, I think the competition will be good healthy fun.

Why not contribute to DC? : Of course I can... and I most probably will once I figure out how to do things - but I'm not a python coder and even though it has been fairly easy to learn it, I prefer to use the language of my choice - C++ and Qt.
Yeah but I'm getting spread thin and have really been hoping for someone to help develop or even take over maintainership of some of my applications.

Auto-accept: I know this problem - I've hit it last week. I'm hoping my experiments using telepathy-qt4 will help me solve it. If I do, I'll try making the python code as well. My code is also up for review.
At my day job I code in C++ all day and I'm slowly porting my Python projects to Qt. So don't worry about porting an example. I can probably look at what you get when you are done.

Why faster: I cache some information - which means I have lesser network traffic - which should mean faster performance.
I don't cache things between runs of the application but once something is downloaded, I don't re-download unless the user requests it.

I decided not to cache things between runs because I was concerned about user perception. If they launch it, they would probably expect things to at least be up to date as of the launch and would get confused if the data is stale.

I figured/hoped that they would understand the concept of refreshing things once loaded.

Screenshots
Huh, that UI seems very familiar.

Oh and about Voicemail support. With TOR I added to my GV API the ability to get the voicemail. I've been planning to make it so that Maemo would ask you to download the voicemail if you've gotten one. Contemplating this for DC what I would probably do is add a "Play" and "Save" button to the window that opens when you click a voicemail. I would hope I could have GStream stream directly from the GV site but unsure about permissions. I've been busy with some other audio apps and my Qt ports to work on this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post: