View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Easy Debian Without The Apps:

For those who want the only the basic Debian system, you can do things manually. "Easy Debian" without the "Easy"
Here is my minimum Debian file system: basic-debian-chroot-fs.tar.bz2 (54MB download)

This is the filesystem I used to build the current Easy Debian package on. It has all of the repositories and basic system packages in place.

You can either put this into a partition, or you can grab the empty image file, extract it to your SD card (eg, /media/mmc1), and then, as root, mount it like so (so you get the turbo speed):
Code:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/dm-mod.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/dm-loop.ko
dmlosetup loop0 /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2
mount -t ext2 /dev/dm-0 /debian -o noatime
You can then (still as root) untar the basic Debian rootfs into the /debian directory. Make sure you run closechroot before using "sudo debian," "debbie," or the "Debian chroot" menu icon. Otherwise you might end up with an incomplete chroot.

REMOVING THE IMAGE FILE:

I strongly recommend rebooting the tablet before deleting the image file. From the problems I've been seeing, I think my "Close Debian" menu icon (or "sudo closechroot" command), which worked so well before, is insufficient for the new turbo loop method (see the mount commands above). I will try to remedy this problem in future releases, but that isn't going to help those who wish to purge their SD card of this file, but instead end up needing to reformat...

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-14 at 17:51.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: