View Single Post
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by ScottishDuck View Post
Debian Phone? I guess you mean a phone that's 2 years old by the time it's released. Might as well stick with nokia they're good at that.
Nope, I mean I want my Debian distro on a modern hardware with all the bells and whistles. Something like the double core phones and tablets that everyone is announcing; and I want also accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, 3d, whatever. I want to be able to buy the hardware and put my distro of choice on top.
I don't mind it's Apple or Samsung or Nokia or whatever.

See, I don't mind either if Debian is in a chroot: the important thing is I can use my application and interact with the hardware. This is "step 1 of 5" (TM) and has been already accomplished.
Step 2 is boot in Debian directly, and has been accomplished though partially on several devices.
Step 3 is boot in Debian and have FLOSS drivers for the majority of the hardware. Still in future, but - hey! - not impossible given enough time and devs. Mainly done for several desktop and notebooks.
Step 4 is still top secret.
Step 5 is conquering the universe and getting RMS as imperator.

Indeed, once Android has a viable X server, I could stay content with that and get the best of two worlds.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post: