View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@oldpmaguy,

Glad that SSH is working. Even though I seldom connect to my N900 via ssh I leave it always running. Battery consumption is essentially zero unless you actually connect (otherwise it's just sitting idle waiting for the kernel to wake it up when an incoming connection comes).

Obviously when transferring lots of files via WLAN the battery will take a hit, but that's just how things are.

Theoretically you could save battery by using ftp instead of ssh (basically: avoiding the encryption). No benchmarks at hand though.

But I would avoid that unless really necessary. With SSH you have both file transfer *and* shell access, so you can e.g. comfortably hack around your N900 using a standard screen and keyboard. Plus if you set a sufficiently complex root password it should be much safer than any ftp server you can find (obviously openssh has had, and has, vulnerabilities, but its security is infinitely more thoroughly checked than that of *any* ftp server in existance, so it's still the safest bet).