View Single Post
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by dwould View Post
Hmm, I switched to using glade to define the user interface in the mistaken idea that this would make my life easier. If there are hildon specific versions of everything, does that mean i should just give up with glade? or is there some glade ui design software that will let me use hildon objects?
You should use GtkBuilder instead of Glade. There's an automated utility to do this called "gtk-builder-convert". You can use Hildon widgets with GtkBuilder (i.e. replace GtkButton with HildonButton). Please note that bug 4718 will cause the styling to still be incorrect, so you have to set the name of the widget to "HildonButton-finger" (or "HildonButton-thumb") after loading it from the .ui file, like this:

Code:
yourwidget.set_name('HildonButton-finger')
You should be able to do the same thing for a GtkButton to get the styling, but this is untested, and not really beautiful

I could switch to hildon notes, what is the specific advantage over a dialog?,
I guess I could catch all non-auth responses and drive the login dialog. that said it should go straight to the login dialog on first use now anyway.
A HildonNote is the "big" yellow, modal thing where the message is shown until the note is touched:
Code:
win = ... # your main window
msg = 'some text'
note = hildon.hildon_note_new_information(win, msg)
note.run()
note.destroy()
An alternative would be to use a HildonBanner that has a timeout for non-critical messages: http://maemomm.garage.maemo.org/docs...res/banner.png

good tip on the styling. That said i like the pop-up in the top right, maybe I'll try setting it to pointer location and see how I get on with it.
In all the built-in applications, context menus pop up under the touch point, so for consistency, it should probably be like that for your application, too. Even on the desktop when right-clicking somewhere, the menu pops up at the cursor position, and not at the top left corner of the screen. Of course, there are issues with this approach on a finger-based UI (because the content that pops up is hidden by the physical finger), but it's how things are done in the Maemo 5 UI today.

I'll look at changing the window title, because I specifically didn't want to open new windows for the different views.
If you convert to GtkBuilder, think about using HildonStackableWindow + sub-views. It's nice, easy, and makes the user navigation more friendly. It also restricts the possible actions that the user can do (i.e. because in a search results view you cannot click on "Timeline", you have to go back first), leading to less errors that you have to catch

given that I don't use identi.ca, and my code is hopelessly badly architected, I suspect this one is unlikely. at least for some time. Sorry
AFAIK Identi.ca has a Twitter-compatible API, so just having a "API URL" setting should be enough to support Identi.ca as well (with the default being the URL of the Twitter API).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: