View Single Post
Props to the dev for the application, but sorry. I've already removed it.

Like most people, adware bugs the hell out of me. If I like an application and I use it more than occasionally, then I'll buy it or track the developer down and offer a donation, if it's freeware or donationware.

Either make it payware or freeware. I understand your personal time went into writing/compiling this application, and I respect that. But if I have to see the adware (even if it's pointed to another domain you own, I'll just put up with a few extra clicks on translate.google.com.

And if you had several thousand downloads for an app, you should have realized that people might pay something for it, (even if .99 cents), and charged for it. Of course, I'm not trying to tell you how to make some extra cash... the capitalist in me just popped out for a second.

Maybe you should look at other software companies' business models. Most have one or more free "little" apps, and then charge for their bigger, more involved apps. Believe it or not, it builds customer loyalty, and your customers will remember that you gave them a free app to do something "small". As such, they be more likely to purchase an app they need (and that you may have) from you.

Allow me to give you a good example. A developer here made a daemon for me that plays a sound when the screen comes on, and another when it goes off. I insisted that I pay for his time, but he would have none of it. Because of that, I'm talking to him about writing a much more complex app that I can use for one of my businesses. If the man charges me 2000 dollars for it, so be it. I'm sure it probably took him 30 minutes to write the code for the original app, but that's not the point. The point is, he didn't charge me anything, nor did he make it "donationware" or "adware". He wrote it, tested it, and then sent it to me free of charge.

Again, props on the app, shame on you for making it adware.

Last edited by That One Guy; 2010-02-02 at 23:05.