View Single Post
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
"2.d) use PyOtherSide from thp, which will have a version for Qt5/Qt Quick 2 released soon. It is not a Qt 5 full binding for Python, but it seems a way to code (the GUI) in Qt Quick 2 and call Python from it (so Qt5 is not available from Python, only Python is available from Qt5/Qt Quick 2). As advantages, PyOtherSide is smaller, faster to load and is/will be multiplataform (Symbian, Android, MeeGo, Sailfish, Ubuntu Touch, etc). "

For me this is the path to go in case of python+QML on embedded. I dont see any reason to have full access to QtWidgets bindings in python. If people want full QtWidgets, well time to learn C++ because QtWidget is only for "hiend applications" anyway and not something that runs on embedded.

And the rest of the goodies in Qt C++ can be replaced with other good librarys in python anyway.

And about Qt4 vs 5 my guess is keeping backward compability in this area is bad idea better let harmattanui die in favour of qt controls (less fragmentation). Qt5 is now moving incredible fast forward (soon 5.2 is out). So I think alot apps on linux desktop will also move to Qt5 2014.

Yes there will be alot of porting issues but not as big as between 3 => 4 it seems...