View Single Post
For me, the only issue I have is maintaining a focus on ABI/ API compatibility is like creating Maemo 5.1 (I hate Chrome inspired inflated version numbers) and doesn't simplify maintenance based on the number of us left.

There's absolutely nothing wrong creating a 5.1 but remember some design principles are 8 years old or more. There are better ways to do things that remaining compatible prevents. As for existing source available projects, I would happily recompile as needed with an up to date toolchain and upload to a new repo instead of worrying about binary compatibility. Why? So that you had a clean repo structure (stable/testing/devel without unmaintained projects, without the #insert own word# idiots running extras-devel/cssu-devel and wondering why things break.

So Maemo was built by paid and unpaid Devs. We have a limited community left. My earlier experiments were to see what we could do to reduce workload. Fmg and myself looked at GtkModule so we could just maintain Hildon specifics and rely on upstream to handle GTK, didn't work out. Switching to wpa_supplicant stack would remove some work in the long run, but needs to have a compatible replacement interface for OLD APPS ONLY that would still be easier than maintaining the whole stack.

Systemd Vs Upstart = I don't mind as long as one isn't going to be a lock in. Systemd in some places requires more work (MCE in Sailfish sends signals to systemd to notify status). Systemd on the other hand is used by far more projects so is a much bigger community to maintain it. My early work used systemd as Mer did. fmg's work uses upstart as Maemo does.

All this focuses on the now problem. There's two immediate choices, ground up or update base, libraries, kernel etc. As stated elsewhere, the second will see results sooner (Fremantle-GTK2 project) and is now my preferred option. BUT, what's the plan from there?

If someone can fixed tracker / media player to correctly handle album artist and title separation I would be much happier. Too many messed up Greatest Hits.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: