View Single Post
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by beowabbit View Post
I currently have a 770 and an Archos PMA400 (QPE-based pocket PVR and PDA with a 30Gb hard drive), and I find that combination very frustrating, because each of them independently is almost the device I want; I wish I could combine them and have a hard-drive-based device with the 770's gorgeous large screen, and the PMA400's connectivity (USB host and device, simultaneously, plus WiFi) plus the 770's connectivity (WiFi and Bluetooth, so I have net whenever I'm in cell coverage and can use Bluetooth keyboards). Maybe this device accomplishes that.

(Personally, I hope the N900 has a hard drive and a faster processor. I can live without powered USB host if I have Bluetooth; I can't really live without Bluetooth.)
I only wish my N800 would play movies as smoothly as my PMA430 (Archos are known for their loose handling of device names, but it seems that "PMA430", regardless of what they printed on the device itself, is the final name it went by).

Hard drives? I have 8 gigabytes in NaB00 now, and with the new SDHC kernel, 16 GB is a distinct possibility. Apparently, later this year 16 and 32 GB SDHC cards will become available, which will make the N800 not only the equal, but even the better of the PMA430, storage-wise that is.

And if (a rather big "if" right now) USB hostmode proves doable on the N800, it will have a USB 2.0 host, vs the PMA's puny USB 1.1 host.

BTW, the H9 appears not to have Bluetooth on board. At least, it's not mentioned in the specs. Still, there is that antique PCMCIA slot (I wonder if it's PCCard compatible or the old 16 bit stuff). Maybe you can still find a CF Bluetooth card, because I'm not sure what else you're going to use that slot for.