View Single Post
Originally Posted by warhawk007 View Post
Open source is great for people with passion to the platform and hobbyists who wish to work on a platform. Here, most open source software developers do not expect anything in return for their work. Not even donations.They work on a platform because they have the passion to develop for the platform. They never depend on it for a living or income.

Hence, while its great to have open source applications, its nice to know that some developers are still developing commercial applications for a plaform which was declared "dead" by its own father.

EDIT: failed to notice this application was open source. Oopsl Sorry!

cheers!
Hehe, no problem

Personally I really like the idea of commercial, open source software. When creating open source software you are able to use other's code for functionality you might need and also work within an ecosystem with lots of code examples available. This gives you a boost in creating applications, while you are still enabled to make money off what you do.

If you get paid to make the software I see no reason not to open source it. That way you can make it with less costs by building upon other open source frameworks.

If you get paid by selling the software you have to be the best provider of it (the NRKbeta Doctrine). The other places your content is available matters less if your distribution channels are more available, easier to use and prized reasonably. In my case it is easier for most users to download the game through Ovi Store rather than to download the source and compile it. Even with a compiled .deb on the web, I still believe that users would buy it through Ovi Store.

And should someone create their own version of the game, I'll be happy to continue building on top of that in good spirit of the GPL.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post: