View Single Post
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by didik.wahyono View Post
Yes the standard Whatsapp uses phone number. Correct me if i'm wrong, but this phone number was also used only during registration process like sending confirmation SMS. Once we are registered, we'll only use that phone number as part of username for XMPP. Even when we're changing our simcard in our device, whatsapp will still using the old phone number, doesn't it? So it'll be cool if our whatsapp provides selectable Phonenumber and Password(or imei) field. Hahaha.. but it's just an idea... Don't hate me if you disagree..
You're right with you interpretation where WhatsApp is using your Phone Number.
The only thing that is different is, that the default WhatsApp Apps are asking the phone for the number every start (or even while the App runs) so when you change your SIM you would need to register a new Account for this number and you can't use your old Account anymore

The option to select an own phonenumber/IMEI/pw should be doable but I personally would implement the way WhatsApp is doing it "official" as default and just making an "expert mode" where you can set it manually.
That would make it easier for people just wanting to use WhatsApp

Yeah, that seems possible. I still don't understand why whatsapp behave like that, They do get extra money when people installs whatsapp in N900, don't they?
No, they don't. If we program our own client you don't pay any money to WhatsApp for the client and thats the only way WhatsApp is doing Money I think.

But i think there is a way to reset the password, isn't it? Suppose if we lost our cell phone, we'll be able to get the same phone number but i highly doubt that we can get a phone with the same imei. So in a case like this, when we install whatsapp, we'll have to update our password in server, right?
I must admit I don't really know how this works but I think when you request a new registration code and then register again with a different pw they will just change the pw and it is like a "forgot pw" functionality.
But because of the fact that usually your pw is connected with the IMEI of your phone and the IMEI is unique they didn't implement a "forgot pw" function - The only thing that would be possible is that you change the SIM to a new phone which comes to end with a new IMEI and with that a new pw. But when you have a new Phone you have to reinstall the App (or even on the old phone with the new number you have to reinstall - thats described in the WhatsApp FAQ) and then the registration-process starts from the beginning again
-> If you want to try: Just do the registration-process as described by me here again but with a different password. It should work (if you do this please save the XML's you get as answer and if there are differences to the first registration please let us know)