View Single Post
Originally Posted by CRCulver View Post
This is now getting very off-topic, but I would expect you to be aware of the fact that most mobile OpenStreetMap development is done on Android devices. At my local OSM meetings, I'm seen as somewhat out of touch, because my N900 is unable to run many of the standard OSM tools and useful new applications like ScoutSigns and Mapillary. Furthermore, OSM2GO is abandonware, it uses many deprecated OSM tags, and and there is no guarantee that it will be able to upload edits to OSM for much longer. And far from feeling that the N900 touchscreen is perfection, I've often struggled with locating an OSM point precisely.
On deprecated OSM tags, you can use any tag you want with OSM2Go and even change the preset tags if you so desire; the Linux, user-editable approach showing its flexibility over the app straightjacket. And a problem that stopped uploading new nodes was fixed by a member of the OSM community and brought to the repos by our own Aapo. The beauty of open source is that even "abandonware" can have critical bugs sorted by someone interested...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2015-03-10 at 15:48.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post: