View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I know I'll cause flames and thunders but the most reasonable next step for a NIT owner is to move to android. The most open platform which is being shipped on actual devices now is android. The best devices out there ship with android.

There is a linux kernel buried down there in android. It's already established (correct me if I am wrong) that android can play well with a modified maemo kernel. I know there are a zillion android forums out there, BUT we could provide a base for something different here.

We can put some efforts to attract people that are interested in the linux part of android. There are many things to discuss like dual booting android devices with plain linux distributions, compiling kernels with more features, running X applications on android, Qt on android, and in the long run, why not, develop the inverse of nitdroid. A full fledged linux over the android kernel.

If that can be done, it's close to unicorns... Choose one of the hundreds devices out there, slap Mer/Cordia or Mer/Nemo on it and you have your dream device.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post: