View Single Post
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I post on tons of forums and one of them has "nanny rules" in place. The mods are harsh and will ban users on whim if they step out of line. Examples of how heavily moderated things are : mods lock topics if they have another preexisiting thread, there is no personal attacks or insults this results in week long bans, linking to invalid information or sources that have been shown to be not credible results in locked threads. I've even seen mods ban other mods! Its a little excessive but what results is a forum of which 80% of the information on the front page is actually relevant.

Now granted said forum has thousands of users and at any given time 1000 people are active on it, but there is nothing wrong with having an effective informational forum. I always push this idea but whats wrong with having a "rants and raves" forum here where users can go wild with the personal insults knowing what they are going to get into. And furthermore if someone really has a problem with something in a thread they can protest by starting a flame war or insulting a poster and then feel the consequence of their actions by enduring a week long ban but at least they get their opinion out there.

Anyway thank you to Reggie for making this an issue so users at least know what kind of behavior is expected here.